Flooding is common in many areas of the United States. Whether you live in flood-prone areas or not, it’s essential to be prepared for floods. Some tips on cleaning up and starting the restoration process are vital since they can help you save on restoration costs and prevent mold growth as you wait for professionals.
Chances are you’ll require flood damage and restoration in Council Bluffs, IA professionals to help you with the cleaning. However, these clean-up tips are handy if you live in flood-prone areas.
• Always wear protective clothing such as gloves, rubber boots, and masks since flood water may contain contaminants.
• Prepare supplies including detergents and disinfectants.
• Disconnect power, unplug electronics, and take out moveable furniture.
• Remove standing water using a pump or pails and remove soaked materials.
• Clean the walls, followed by the floors.
If flooding in your home is extensive and you suspect electrical wiring, do not attempt to clean up yourself. The best thing is to consult a professional.
Dry Out the House0
Once you have cleaned the affected area, it’s time to dry it. Drying out is important as it helps in preventing rot and mold growth. Some tips to help you include:
• Open doors and windows to allow air circulation.
• Dry out wet furniture and furnishings under the sun.
• Use high-powered fans and humidifiers to dry the interior.
• Use desiccants to remove moisture from closets and other closed areas.
• Fix leaking plumbing to avoid wet floors and walls.
• Conduct frequent checkups for mold or mildew growth and clean it up immediately.
Flooding is a serious issue affecting many homeowners. It’s costly to deal with and can cause irreparable damages if left unattended. These cleanup and drying tips can help save your home from mold and rot. However, you should contact a professional from SERVPRO of Council Bluffs if you suspect any danger, such as extensive floods or electrocution.